Ok, so I got my book in the mail about the diet for PCOS. I was so excited to get it after reading about it online. So, I started reading it this weekend and I was getting really excited about it. It sounded like something new and great and I was learning alot. The more I read though, the more the book started contradicting itself. Finally I was so confused, I got to the diet part. Like what I could eat and couldn't eat. Let me tell you, I am so mad! The whole time the book made it sound like you could still eat a wide range of foods and that it was meant to be on a budget. That it would just teach me a better way of eating. But NOOOOOO! It's what they call a "hunter-gatherer" diet. Which basically means, if I couldn't find it in the woods basically, or hunt it and kill it, I can't eat it! What the? Oh, and everything has to be 'organic'. I'm sorry, but I feel like organic stuff is a bunch of crap to rip people off. I mean, I know they don't use pestisides and all that, and if I could afford it, I might have a different opinion. But I'm not going to pay $3 more for that tiny head of 'non-pesticide' lettuce, when I can get this nice big one for half the price! I mean, seriously. People have been eating non-organic food for years and personally, I would rather not have bugs on my food, so I would rather it be sprayed. I wash it anyway, ya know? So that's not even it. I can't eat peanut butter, any type of carb that's not in something like an apple that I can't do anything about, no dairy! They say that milk is designed for baby cows and not humans and it has no health benefits! Are you kidding me? How about calcium for your bones, hair, nails, etc? Basically, the knowledge part is great, but I can find all that info online. I don't need to pay $40 for someone to tell me I need to eat like an organic flower child! I can cut back on my carbs, eat more fruits and veggies and exercise more all by myself, and not pay a fortune for it! Anyway, I guess I'm more dissappointed than anything. I was really hoping this would be the answer I was looking for. I was willing to work hard for it, but I'm not going to make myself unhappy by never eating ANYTHING! I was on a diet like that once. It worked, but I only lasted about 3 days. I cried every day because all I could eat was lettuce, tuna and chicken, oh and egg whites with no salt. Yum. I know that probably makes me sound like a baby, but I just can't handle only eating stuff like that. Let alone, afford all this organic food. I do much better when I just excersise, drink lots of water and just cut out most of the junk food. I'm much happier because I don't feel like a big fat failure if I eat a piece of cake once in a while, ya know? Oh well, hopefully I can get a refund. Luckily my sweet husband loves me just the way I am. He is so supportive. So we will both just have to be patient and stick to it while I get healthy the old fashioned way. I guess there is no easy answer. I'm still motivated though, and I'm still going to get healthier, so wish me luck!
7 years ago

8 comments:
I'm sorry! That is such a BUMMER!! Good Luck!
I'm sorry! I know how frustrating it can be. I'm most sorry about you being so excited about it helping with PCOS. If you haven't already, read my comment on your PCOS post. Good luck!
That is so gay!!!! What the heck? I'm sorry but if they tell pregnant people to eat a well rounded diet then that's what you should do anyway. Why would they tell you to just eat organic food? Hello retards... who eats like that? I'm sorry Kanion. You are gorgeous. You don't need to do shiz like that.
I'm sure you have done a ton of research, but I decided to look into a few things for you, out of curiosity. Here's just a few thoughts I had after some websearch and talking to some doctor buddies.
Because they have found that some causes of PCOS deal with insulin resistance, it just makes sense to me that the type of diet you would want to go on would be the same diet that they recommend for diabetics. The diabetic diet is actually extremely similar to weight watchers, which does allow you to eat what you want...for the most part, avoiding starchy foods and eating less carbs, though. You will need to keep track of points and also calories, but we should do that regularly anyway. Make sure to get your exercise in too. For some reason that helps with getting everything in your system flowing better, not just help with losing weight. Also, make sure to take your vitamins, like you already mentioned. I think the general goal is just to be healthy. I suck at it, so I wish you the best.
Also, I agree with you about being told to eat all organic. That is crap. I am so sorry that the book was such a letdown. I really hope you get your money back, out of principle, if nothing else.
P.S. Have you checked your vitamin d levels? I know that if you are deficient in vitamin d, there is a link to PCOS. I am extremely vitamin d deficient and so have been looking that up, too.
No I haven't checked into my vitamin D levels, I will have to do that, thank you. Yeah, I have heard of the insulin resistance diet and read a little bit of the book. It's available at Hasting's by my house so I may go pick up a copy, or just go read it again :) That's why I love book stores, I can sit there and read the book with out having to pay a bunch of money, and then have the book suck. Thanks for your info.
Hey Kanion...did you know that one of my sisters (possibly all of them but the other sisters haven't been tested) has this too? It is crappy. I am so sorry that you have to deal with that! *hugs*
Anything ever happen with all this?
Post a Comment